Monday, September 15, 2008

With the World at Stake.............

My focus has been on local social and political commentary but I thought I'd deviate and expand my blog to include events of global interest...namely the US Presidential election.
I am a fully fledged Barack Obama supporter. I think he is exactly what America needs...a change in attitude, a change in demeanour, a change in style, and a real change in Washington. I was completely blown away by his Acceptance speech a couple of weeks ago. It quite possibly might be one of the best speeches ever made...on the scale of MLK's I have a Dream, The Gettysburg Address, Winston Churchill's call to arms....it was that good...seriously! After having watched Bill Clinton, Al Gore, Hillary Clinton and Joe Biden build up to it...I thought...the democrats have it in the bag! Then along came the surprise announcement by John McCain on his selection of a running mate. Suddenly this unknown self-styled 'Hockey Mom' was cast into prominence and seemingly wooed over the Republicans. I watched her speech. I was not wooed. I saw it as nothing but an attack of rhetoric, with no substance whatsoever, not even 5% of it had anything you could hold on to. Nothing! Then we found out who she is....a creationist, gun-toting, oil-drilling, anti-abortionist, climate-crisis disbeliever. That's who could be a heartbeat away from the most important job in the world. Not only would we have George Bush once more...we'd have John Ashcroft, George Bush and Pat Buchanan rolled into one. It would be a disaster for the world. Truly a disaster. She's in her own words, "ready for the job". That's a combination of sheer arrogance and complete incompetence. Remember 8 years ago?
And that's even more reason why Barack Obama MUST be elected. Not just America but the WORLD cannot afford another idiot in the White House. Its really too bad that the rest of the planet doesnt get a vote...Obama would win by an avalanche!

No comments: